Table of Contents
|Must be done with the keyboard|
|ctrl-Enter in the find bar||highlight find|
|Easier to do it with the mouse|
|Middle click on link||open in new tab|
|Middle click on tab||close tab|
Things that must be done with the keyboard are things that imply that you will type something after, then it is faster.
|Tab Mix Plus|
|Middle click on tab bar||open last closed tab|
Shortcuts for search engines
For all your bookmarks you can define a keyword : when you type it in the URL bar it will trigger the bookmark.
It is even more interesting for search engines. You just have to find what is the syntax of the url for searching (just tries – searching a word which doesn't exist is more efficient – or look at the examples I give next), and replace the words to search by
Then you just have to type in the url bar, if you defined the
g keyword for google :
g crteknologies and it will search
crteknologies with google.
There are some search engines which are already defined in the
Fast search folder in the bookmarks, but you can add everything you want. As an example, you can find here all the keywords I use.
The essential ones:
- All-in-One Sidebar: to put favorites, history, downloads, addons, etc in a sidebar
- Tab Mix Plus: multirow tab bar, “new tab” button in the tab bar, open last closed tabs, hide close tab button, and a lot more
- Tree Style Tab: to show tabs like a tree
- Adblock Plus: to prevent ads download
- Grease Monkey: to allow customizing all web pages, in order to remove ads undetected by Adblock Plus or to add features
- Autofill Forms: a good form filler
- FlashGot: to download all links of a page
- Get jetable mail, Tempomail: to quickly get a disposable email address
The useful ones:
- Nightly Tester Tools: to force an extension compatible with the latest Firefox version
- ChromaTabs Plus: to color tabs in accordance with favicon
- TabRenamizer: to rename tabs
- Download Statusbar: shows a discreet status bar with the state and rates of your downloads
- Master Password Timeout: locks the master security device after a period of inactivity
- Hide Find Bar: hide the find bar after a period of inactivity
- MR Tech Disable XPI Install Delay: suppress addons install delay
- oldbar: to display Firefox < 3.0 URL bar in Firefox >= 3.0
- Source Viewer Tab: to view the page source code in a tab
- Google Pagerank Status: show in the status bar the pagerank of the current page
- BugMeNot: to bypass compulsory web registration using public accounts
- IE View or IE Tab: for Windows, to quickly load a page in IE
- FireFTP: a good FTP client
- TortoiseSVN Menu: a Subversion client
about:config in the url bar, you have a access to a lot of configuration parameters.
about:plugins will give you information about your firefox multimedia plugins (WMP, flash, java, etc), and
about:cache will list files in the firefox cache with some details.
- Restore the old location bar: oldbar extension
- restore backspace key for previous page :
about:config/browser.backspace_action = 0
- And while it is in beta testing, find compatible versions of extension looking for latest development builds (Adblock Plus, Tab Mix Plus, …), or try to make the other ones compatible using Nightly Tester Tools extension.